Become a Citizen Co-sponsor of the LIFE Act
The LIFE Act stands for "Lifesaving Intelligent Firearms Enforcement." Sign on and become a citizen co-sponsor of California's LIFE Act, saying "I support the LIFE Act package of gun safety bills and will fight to make them law."
The LIFE Act includes eight bills all backed by Senate President pro Tem Darrell Steinberg. They are:
- Senate Bill 140 (Leno/Steinberg) gives law enforcement the resources to confiscate the guns of Californians who are known to illegally possess them, currently there is an 18,000 person backlog;
- SB 53 (de León) requires a background check for all ammunition purchases;
- SB 47 (Yee) closes a loophole in California's assault weapons ban that allows guns with a "bullet button" to sneak through;
- SB 396 (Hancock) outlaws “mega-magazines” that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition;
- SB 755 (Wolk) expands the list of Californians who can't legally own guns to include those convicted of multiple drug/alcohol convictions, carrying ammunition onto school grounds, active participation in street gangs, and others;
- SB 374 (Steinberg) bans semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines and retroactively requires an ownership record for all guns;
- SB 683 (Block) expands safety certificate requirements to long guns, rather than just handguns;
- SB 567 (Jackson) closes a loophole in California's definition of an illegal shotgun to include a shotgun with a revolving cylinder and a rifled bore.
The coalition is led by California-based CourageCampaign.org in conjunction with the Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment (ACCE), Bend the Arc: A Jewish Alliance for Justice, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, California Church Impact, the California Federation of Teachers, Clergy and Laity for Economic Justice - California (CLUE CA), CREDO Action, Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, and PICO.