Essential workers are on the frontlines of this pandemic, and many are working in high-risk conditions without appropriate protective equipment, safety standards, or job security.
These workers put their health on the line when they go to work every day. That’s why Rep. Ro Khanna (CA) and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (MA) introduced the Essential Workers Bill of Rights, which ensures that essential workers have:
- 1. Workplace-appropriate health and safety protections, including personal protective equipment.
- 2. Fair and equitable hazard pay that recognizes the higher risks that essential workers are facing, prioritizing workers who earn low wages and thus need it most.
- 3. Protection for all collective bargaining agreements so that they cannot be changed or dissolved by employers during this crisis.
- 4. Truly universal paid sick leave and family and medical leave, so all essential workers, without exception, can care for themselves, family members, or dependents.
- 5. Protections for whistleblowers so workers who witness unsafe conditions can identify concerns without fear of retaliation.
- 6. An end to employers’ misclassification of workers as “independent contractors” as a way to avoid providing the full suite of benefits and protections available to employees.
- 7. Health care for all workers during this crisis, regardless of immigration status, and no-cost health care for employees who lose eligibility for health care coverage.
- 8. Guaranteed child care to ensure essential workers have access to reliable, safe, healthy, and high-quality child care.
- 9. A place at the table in setting safety and compensation standards in response to the coronavirus to ensure we are better prepared going forward.
- 10. Accountability for corporations so that taxpayers dollars go to help workers, not wealthy CEOs, shareholders, or political cronies.
While they work hard to care for us, it’s up to us to come together and care for them. We must call on Congress to protect essential workers' health, ensure financial security for their loved ones, and offer peace of mind during a time of heightened mortal and emotional stress by passing the Essential Workers Bill of Rights.
Sign the petition to call on your member of Congress to support essential workers as they care for us during this crisis:
"Millions of essential workers across the country are rising to the challenge of the coronavirus pandemic and, unfortunately, are having to put their lives at risk to care for our communities. Essential workers from health care professionals to farmworkers and grocery workers to bus drivers deserve support on the same scale they are providing to all of us. Pass the Essential Workers Bill of Rights in the next federal relief package to provide needed protections, compensation, and safety nets to all essential workers."